Elder Beau Gardner -
Hawaii Honolulu Mission, August 2011 - 2013

Monday, October 10, 2011

Happiness in Hilo...


Me with Elder Halle, one of my Zone Leaders.

Aloha Family,
Well everything is still going good with me here in Hilo.  I’ve gained weight I think, I'm almost up to 160 pounds... haha.  
I'm really not making a face, I have just put on a little weight!
The work is going pretty good as well.  Unfortunately I won’t have 2 baptisms like I told you - just one.  We found out that Mary is on probation for the next 3 years so she is out of the question now.  With Jennifer, we've had to move her date back again, not because she smoked, she is doing really good with her smoking, but bishop told us that we have to wait another week with her.  So that’s our only investigator with a date so far.  She asked me to confirm her!  I’m stoked but I’m also kind of nervous though because I will be confirming her in front of the whole ward! 
We met up with the Kuikahi's again (the family that I gave the daughter a blessing).  They invited us to dinner!  They are so nice, we had a great dinner.  I tried some poi, poke (raw fish), and lomi salmon for the first time.  Lomi salmon is sooo good!  We really want to help that family and baptize her boyfriend and son. 
I had interviews with the mission president on Saturday.  That was awesome!  He gave me some really good advice about being out here because I’ve had some concerns.  Seriously, being on a mission is hard, a lot harder than I expected.  I have some really awesome days that go so well and then I have other days where I ask myself what did I get myself into?  I don’t know I just wish I could get to that point where I was comfortable and I could enjoy every second of it...  I just get really overwhelmed with all the paperwork and area book stuff its confusing.  Were you ever comfortable being a bishop dad?  I kind of have a feeling that I'll be training soon.  Not this upcoming transfer but the one after that. 
It’s so hot here it’s a continuous 80 degrees every single day.  It usually rains a little everyday, which is very nice.  
A little place about 5 minutes from our pad.
I’m starting to drive now so I can get to know the area more so I’m driving almost everyday this week.  I fly to different islands when I get transferred; like I went to Honolulu when I first got here then flew out to Hilo.  I think I’m starting to feel a lot better about my mission now and have a better attitude about things.  I just try to look at the bright side and not think about the past or what will happen in the future.  I’m here now and I need to make the best of it, and plus I’m in Hawaii - the tightest place on earth! 
The best food I’ve eaten since being here is kalua pig.  It’s delicious.  Also musubies.  The rice is fantastic!  You need to get a rice cooker.
Hope everything is going great back home.  Keep telling people to write me letters… haha.   Love you all so much.
Sorry this is so short but I got to go to lunch with bishop
Aloha
Elder Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment