Elder Beau Gardner -
Hawaii Honolulu Mission, August 2011 - 2013

Monday, October 29, 2012

Molokai Adventures and Free Skateboards - wahhh!?


How’s it?

Sweet!  Fall package, I like that.  I’m excited to get that.  I know I’m fat but like its not that bad, the only thing I’m worried about is the stretch marks on my butt, they are pretty gnarly.  Everything I eat goes straight to my butt.  Not cool.  So I’m emailing you from the Wailuku library right now because we usually email at the family history center but they are redoing all the carpet in the stake center so no can do this week.  Yeah, the shark attack email you sent me is by me.  We live in Wailuku.  We were talking to one of our members and they were telling us how it is shark-breeding season right now so the sharks come a lot closer to shore.  It’s nuts!  But its also whale season so that’s pretty cool too.  Man, Its crazy to hear about all the things Sam has been going through.  I sure that Sam and Ben have both grown up a lot in the year that I’ve been gone but man its crazy to hear about the great changes that he is going through.  Dude, holding up the "I’m Single" sign at a volleyball game haha - I don’t think I could do that!  I would be the one just to go to the game and cruise and hopefully end up talking to some girl but Sam, you dirty dog did you at least get her number?  Its going to be weird to come back and see you driving around.  Man that’s junk about the traveling soccer team and only allowing 2 LDS kids to play in a tournament.  Junk. 

So MRI time huh?  I know that everything will be all right.  Ever since the beginning I knew that Sam would make it.  Just let me know how everything goes.  I guess sometimes things don’t always work out the way we want it to.  Like, look at Joseph Smith I’m sure he wasn’t like "wow, that turned out exactly how I wanted it to" haha.  Everything will be fine.

Man, this week was nuts.  Good nuts though.  We had a Tsunami warning Saturday night and we all pretty much got evacuated.  All the missionaries went to up country and stayed the night there.  Well, nothing even happened.  I thought it was supposed to be big but I don't even think there was a wave.  Work wise it wasn’t the best, a lot of things fell through and we weren’t able to see as many people or find as many new investigators as we had hoped but that’s ok.  This week will be good for sure.  We are still working with the Kuamoo family down in Kahakuloa village.  In fact we are going to see them later on this afternoon and we are also going to meet with Dotty, Chris and their daughter tonight as well.  These are two families that we are working with that are super ready; hopefully they will be able to accept the baptismal invite.  That would be the tightest thing ever!  We have also tracted into another family that we are going to try and contact this week.  They have some potential and we've tried to stop by a couple times this past week but they were busy and they still want us to come by because they want everyone to be there!  So things are getting there.  So on Tuesday night we got on the ferry to Molokai and stayed with those elders over there for all of Wednesday.  Man, Molokai is the sweetest place ever!  Its super country over there and a gallon of milk is $10!  I went on exchanges with elder Mecham and Eneri.  That was so much fun!  It was kind of awkward because at one of the less active members house that we went to, some Jehovah’s Witnesses came and tried to teach the less active members while we were still there!  That was super weird.  They tried to bring up the question "Why does God allow evil and suffering to occur in this world?"  We answered it easy and they just were rambling and it didn’t make any sense at all... I’m so thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It’s beautifully simple and simply beautiful!  The ferry ride was kind of gnarly.  The way over to Molokai was good and I didn’t get sick at all because I just fell asleep, but the ride back wasn’t so hot.  I fell asleep for most of the ride and I woke up with about 30 minutes left of the ride.  I was like “I got this its only 30 min.”  All the sudden I started sweating really bad and I just ran to the back of the boat.  Luckily, I didn’t throw up but I was over the railing and just waiting for it.  I could have laid on the deck with my white shirt and tie and I wouldn’t have cared what people thought or if I got dirty because I felt so sick... I almost threw up in the car going back to our pad too... no bueno!  Thursday was pretty normal not too much happened.  The craziest thing that happened was Elder Mortensen go plowed over by a pitbull.  We were trying to go see a potential investigator and the gate was open and we didn’t even step into their property and this white pitbull just came at a dead sprint and just shoulder charged Elder Mortensen.  I’m really surprised he didn’t bite him but it knocked him flat on his back!  The dog turned towards me and was ready to get me when the owner came out and got mad at us!!!?  I can’t stand people like that. 

Friday was super funny so we still go skateboarding for morning exercise.  I definitely get a really good workout doing it.  So we only have one board and we just take turns.  Usually we are the only ones in the park but on Friday these two local guys came and started to skate.  We talked to them for a little bit and we told them we are missionaries.  They thought that was cool.  Then they went to go smoke some weed and after a while they came back and they were super stoned.  Well, Elder Mortensen snapped the board in half so we didn’t have a skateboard, and one of the guys came up to us and he thought the snapped board was super cool.  So he gave us his nice board for the snapped one and said "I come across a lot of boards but I don’t come across good guys like you everyday."  His friend saw him give us his board and thought that he needed to give us his also haha.  So they gave us their skateboards and they took the snapped one.  I was stoked.  Moral of the story:  don’t smoke weed.  So yeah that’s about it for me this week it was a super fun week.  I hope and pray that this zone will be able to pick it up a little in November.  It’s a little sloppy joe right now... Everyone is not as excited as they were last transfer. 

Did I not tell you about Fa’amausili?  Yeah he went home because of his diabetes.  It’s pretty sad, but I hope he’s doing good over there in Samoa.  Man, Jacob Carter comes home in 2 weeks?  That blows my brain!  Wow I can’t believe that it’s already been two years for him.  That will be cool to see how much he has changed.  Well,  hope you have a great week and keep me updated on everything!  Love you the most.

Elder Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment