Elder Beau Gardner -
Hawaii Honolulu Mission, August 2011 - 2013

Monday, October 15, 2012

Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you


but the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowls empty, just like your head.

I got that from the Hank Smith talk that you sent me.  I love those talks so much!  Anyway, it sounds like you had a pretty baller week!  Surgeries, Pintrest, Carlsbad, and soccer.  Seriously, I don’t quite understand how everyone keeps going to Carlsbad except me...  like is that something you were planning?  "Hey let’s make it a plan to go to Carlsbad a lot once Beau’s off to college and on his mission" haha jk.  Hopefully one of these days I’ll be able to go.  Thanks for the pics!  Sam and Ben look a lot older it’s crazy!  And Jojo - she’s huge!  Nice job on getting the chairs they look good.  Fall break already huh?  Crazy stuff, I guess you could say its fall break here but it’s been the same temperature since I’ve gotten here haha.

This week was pretty dang good.  So you remember how I said last email that we had a lot of lessons set up for this week?  Well pretty much all of them fell through... of course that’s pretty typical.  We were able to accomplish a lot this week even with the lessons falling through.  Elder Mortensen and I are doing great together.  We are really getting things organized so when we plan it’s a lot more effective and is a lot faster!  It has helped a lot.  We are still in finding mode right now but were trying to commit as many people as we can to baptism.  We don’t have anyone with a date yet but I know we will soon.  Wednesday we went on exchanges, Elder Ludovico came in my area with me.  He’s Filipino, and he’s super solid though.  We were tracting and we ran into this Filipino family and he was able to say a prayer with them in Tagalog so it was really good we have a return appt. with them this week.  Man, that guy has like no fear at all!  So we were going up to this house and they weren’t home but they had a nice coconut tree that had some good coconuts and Elder Ludovico just goes and grabs one of the coconuts from their tree and tries to crack it open.  Well of course as he’s trying to crack it open the people come home and pull into their driveway, so were like Ahhhh!!!  So we leave real quick and we get up to a house right by our car and he just goes in their yard and uses their hose to wash off the coconut... hahah man that guy!  That was a pretty fun day.  Friday was good also after District Leader Training Meeting we had a lesson with Peter.  He’s still doing really well.  He's been super busy with school though.  After Peter we had scheduled a tracting window for an hour.  Of course we never jump for joy when we have a tracting window, we actually try to find every excuse not to haha.  So we ended up just going tracting anyways, and I’m super glad we did!  So we’re still using the prayer approach as we tract (say prayer with them, then invite to baptism).  So about the 6th or 7th house we get to we knock on the door and a lady answers the door.  We talk with her for a little and then I ask if we can leave her with a blessing.  We ask her if there is anything specific we can mention in the prayer, and she just told us her mom died like 5 months ago.  So I say the prayer and honestly I’ve said better prayers in my life like this one that I said didn’t seem like it was the smoothest one I’ve ever given, but after the prayer I look up and she had tears streaming down her face.  She said that it was a very nice prayer and she just got a little teary haha.  So Elder Mortensen invited her to be baptized and we set up a return appt. for this week!  Friday night the Wailuku Elders us and went to the park and played some pick up basketball games with whoever was there so we could maybe find some new investigators while playing ball.  We ended up playing and it was super fun, but one of the guys we were playing with started talking crap to another guy that was on the other side of the court, and before we knew it there were in a full on fight.  I think the guy that we were playing with got knocked out so we just left because it was kind of sketch.  Saturday was sick!  We planned to go to the farthest part in our area (Kahakuloa Village) probably one of the last Hawaiian villages in Maui.  
Kahakuloa Village
We saw in our area book that there was a family that had previously been contacted and taught so we took the journey out to the village and we actually found them!  They were super tight!  They are the Kuamoo's and we just talked with them for a little bit, and they fed us lunch and stuff.  We are going to go back this Saturday and help them in the taro patches and teach them a lesson.  I’m stoked for that!  We’re going to start out slow with them but If we can get them that is a family of 6 all over the age of 8!  Today for p-day we went on a hike in Lao Valley.  It was super sweet!  Hawaii has some dope hikes that we need to go on!  I’ll send some pictures your way of that hike.  Well that’s pretty much about it for me this week.
Our hike in Lao Valley
Just fill out the voting slip for me and then I'll sign it and send it back.  Let me know what Joey decides to do about the mission thing, because I was wondering about that.  Mom, and Dad, I love you a lot and I’m thankful that I’ve been able to have the best examples while growing up.  Good luck with surgeries and stuff.  Sam, Dude, not cool.  You went surfing before me, that’s not supposed to happen.  Benjee, good luck with traveling soccer, send me a picture of your new jerseys.  To answer a few of your questions: for p-day we usually go on hikes, go to the gym, and play basketball, or go to a beach park and mega freaking chill.  It’s pretty fun, but p-days go by super fast.  Emmi and Hal, that’s so cool that you are looking for a new house I bet that is super exciting for you.  Your own house!  What could be cooler than that?  We just watched conference at the church and I’m not sure what the plans are for thanksgiving yet though.  Well, I love you all so much have a great week and let me know any sweet updates!

Love
Elder Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment