Elder Beau Gardner -
Hawaii Honolulu Mission, August 2011 - 2013

Monday, April 1, 2013

5 Months Left...

p-day hike today.  This was the old baptism font in Kohala

Dang, another p-day is here, I can’t believe it.  Seems like I was just writing yesterday.  Thanks for all the pictures, they were awesome!  Looks like you guys have so much fun over there in Carlsbad.  Can’t wait to go.  Sam and Ben are growing up so fast its crazy.  Looks like the fashion style may have changed a little bit since I’ve been out on my mission as well?  To answer your question before I forget I did mean vog in my previous letter.  Vog is the smog stuff the volcano lets off.  It’s not good to breath in, and its really thick some days over here in Kona.  So thick that you can’t even see the ocean. 

Yeah, it's pretty cool here, I guess...

This week was a pretty good one here in Kona.  We’re still trying to work hard to find some new investigators so we can continue to baptize at least every month.  We were able to stop by this family that are members but they had just moved back from Las Vegas and I think they kind of went less active for a while because they have a 10 year old daughter that isn’t baptized.  They were super cool with us coming over and they want us to get their daughter ready for baptism and teach the whole family the discussions!  I was pretty stoked about that.  That was probably the highlight of the week.  We have a lesson with them this Tuesday so I'm definitely looking forward to that.  I’m finally over my sickness.  I haven’t really been too sick my whole mission, only a couple times.  I remember right when I went into the MTC I had a cold, and this is probably the 3rd time on my mission that I've been sick.  The other two times only lasted a couple of days and this one lasted about a week so it wasn’t even that bad.  I've really been blessed with good health.  I honestly can’t even remember the last time I was very sick.  I think probably when I was in high school.  On Thursday Elder Tup got his trunky packet.  It has his ticket home and all the information on what he will be doing his last two days of his mission.  He was pretty stoked to get that.  I also had a package sent to me the same day and I opened it up and it was a penny board (skateboard)!  Stephanie in my last area sent it to me because I guess she heard me saying that it would be cool to have one so she sent me one!  Super nice of her. 

Sunday was a pretty interesting one.  So there is this family (The Andersons) from Utah that have been calling us the past 3 weeks or so because they were trying to set up their son’s baptism here because they wanted to do it in the ocean (which they don’t do here anymore).  So I gave them a couple of phone numbers of the bishopric so they could work it out because I’m not really in charge of that kind of stuff.  Well on Saturday and Sunday they were calling and calling, but I really didn’t want to deal with that.  So I ended up talking to them in church on Sunday trying to help them get it figured out because no one really wanted to help them and no one wanted to be witnesses for the baptism either.  So we told them we would just go and be their witnesses.  So we go down to this place that they had picked out previously and it was kind of awkward because we had to walk a ways to get to the location.  Just imagine two guys in suits walking with a family and the dad and the son are wearing all white jumpsuits with sandals and the family is following them... we got a lot of eyes following us.  Well, we get to the spot and there are choke people there, so there is no way we’re going to baptize a kid in the ocean when half of Kona is at that beach... It probably wouldn’t have turned out good.  So we end up going back to the chapel and we fill up the font and just do a quick baptism and we help the dad confirm him after.  It was definitely an experience.  I felt bad for the family, I really did, but at the same time they should've realized baptism isn’t all about how fancy you can get it.  It’s about the ordinance and feeling the Spirit.  Also Nico, the guy we baptized 2 weeks ago, he got the priesthood!  We ordained him yesterday.  That was pretty sweet.  So yeah that’s kind of my week for you, well just the exciting parts.
Got enough warning signs?
By the way, we didn’t end up hitting our high water mark... its ok though; we ended the month with 11 baptisms.  April is looking pretty wet if you know what I mean;)  Well that about does it for me.  Hope you all have a great week and pinkey thumb shaka fly brah!  Love you the most.

Elder Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment